a. At The Start.
(1) Course Organizer—Briefs the orienteers in the assembly area, issues event cards and maps, and calls orienteers forward to start individually.
(2) Recorder—Records orienteer's name and start time on recorder's sheet, checks orienteer's name and start number on his event card, and issues any last-minute instructions.
(3) Timer—Controls the master clock and releases the orienteers across the start line at their start time (usually at one-minute intervals) to the master map area.
b. At The Finish.
(1) Timer—Records finish time of each orienteer on the orienteer's event card and passes card to recorder.
(2) Recorder—Records finish time of each orienteer on the orienteer's event card and passes card to recorder.
(3) Course Organizer—Verifies correctness of names, finish times, and final score; posts orienteers' positions on results board; and accounts for all orienteers at the end of event.